Per Capita Loan Program
Under the revised guidelines, eligible tribal members may apply for loan assistance during established deadlines that are published by the Treasury Division. Some of the most important guidelines and policies are as follows:
1. Eligible tribal members include everyone who is 18 years of age or older, and who have received at least one bi-annual per capita distribution.
2. Tribal members owing a debt to the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians or the Qualla Housing Authority, other than portfolio loans or down payment assistance, will not be eligible until all debts are paid in full.
3. Once the application is made and accepted for loan assistance will be recurring for the remainder of that cycle. Only one application per eligible tribal member will be accepted per cycle. A tribal member may stop the recurring assistance at any point during the cycle, however, once stopped the loan assistance cannot be restarted within the same cycle.
4. Eligible tribal members may receive up to $500.00 per month in loan assistance. The amount of monthly assistance is dependent upon the historical garnishment amounts, if any, for eligible tribal members.
5. There are two loan assistance cycles: 1.) October – March and 2.) April – September